Heat It Up, Then Eat It Up!
White Bean & Purple Potato Soup with Ham
The days are getting shorter and cooler and now is the perfect time to whip up this tasty soup. Purple potatoes add a colorful twist to this great recipe courtesy of Delicious Living magazine.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions (peeled and diced)
- 1 pound purple potatoes or purple sweet potatoes (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 quart reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can low-sodium white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced, fully cooked ham steak
- 1 (5-ounce) bag baby spinach
- Grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
In a medium pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add onions, garlic, potatoes, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper; stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5–7 minutes or until onions begin to turn translucent.
- This recipe is easily adjusted for vegans and vegetarians by swapping out the chicken broth for veggie broth, removing the ham and substituting Follow Your Heart vegan parmesan for the diary-based cheese.
Recipe: White Bean & Purple Potato Soup with Ham
Recipe credit: Amy Palanjian Photo credit: Jennifer Olson